Monday, April 28, 2008

Barbie Books

I always let my daughter have dress up Barbies, but I drew the line at Barbie books. You see, literature is at the center of my life. I love sharing stories with my kids. I love mythology, fantasy, science fiction, and all of the other stuff that they put into kids books. There are so many great books for children. Why does she want to read a Barbie book?

When she first asked me for Barbie books, I couldn't believe it. You might think that I am overreacting, but you don't understand my values. I was raised up by hippies. I definitely consider myself anti-consumerist, anti-capitalist, and most of all, anti-Barbie. I understand why she wants to have Barbie dolls to play with. I know that little girls like to fit in with each other, and I know that it helps her with her games of imagination. But reading Barbie books is just crass.

Finally, after months of nagging, I gave in and bought her her first Barbie book. I think it was called Barbie in the 12 dancing princesses, or something like that. It was awful. I had expected it to be awful. But you know what, it wasn't as bad as I thought. And she was so excited about it! I thought perhaps that reading Barbie books meant that she had no taste in literature, but I was wrong. She still liked the other books for children that I read her. She enjoyed E. Nesbit. She enjoyed fairytales. Soon, my fears were assuaged. I realized that it would just be a faze.

I think that the episode of the Barbie books has taught me something about being a parent. Really, it does not matter what they read. They will develop their own tastes, and their own tastes will change. I know my tastes have changed thousands of times. If my daughter wants to read Barbie books, it is fine as long as she reads. No books are bad enough to kill a love of reading. Whether they are Barbie books or the greatest works of fiction, it is crucial to get your children to read every night. If reading Barbie books makes her happy, I am all for it. I think that is what being a good parent demands. You have to be willing to support your kids, even when they develop poor tastes. As long as they are learning, and having fun, that is all that matters.

No comments: